Build Over Agreements Explained

A Build Over Agreement is required for any excavation works within 3 metres of a public sewer or drain. This will likely mean that any work you intend to undertake to your property, that includes excavations or foundations, may well likely require the Water’s supplier review and consent. 

Thames/Anglian Water build over agreements require various different information to be submitted to a Water engineer prior to construction.

Although each application will require different information based on the location, lay of the land and the proposed works. Generally speaking, build over agreements will always require:

  • A completed application form

  • A drawing illustrating the site location plan

  • A drawing illustrating the existing drainage layout

  • A drawing illustrating the proposed drainage layout

  • A drawing confirming the cross section of the proposed foundations and existing drain or sewer.

We have seen a case where the homeowner assumed the contractor had taken care of the Build over agreement, while the contractor assumed the homeowner had. This confusion lead to a 4 week delay to the works while the appropriate site investigations were undertaken, plans were drawn up and a Water engineer visited site.

As you can imagine this not only added significant delay and cost to the homeowner, but also risked them losing their contractor, not to mention the added stress of the mistake.

If in doubt, speak to Method Studio Architects about your project or a quick call to Thames Water could save a significant amount of future cost and delay!